If the buyer doesn't pay within this timeframe, the seller can cancel the order and an unpaid cancellation will be recorded on the buyer's account.
What is the policy
When a buyer commits to buy something on eBay – by winning an auction, agreeing to an offer with a seller, or selecting Buy It Now in a listing – they are obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller.
Before they commit to buy, buyers should note:
- All the terms that the seller has included in the listing, including postage and handling costs
- Placing a bid on an auction is a commitment to buy, and bids can only be retracted under exceptional circumstances
Failure to pay for items is a violation of our abusive buyer policy.
When a seller cancels an order because the buyer hasn't paid, the unpaid cancellation is recorded on the buyer's account. Buyers who have excessive unpaid cancellations may have limits imposed by a seller or by eBay, or lose their buying privileges. In some circumstances, buyers can appeal an unpaid cancellation recorded on their account. Learn more about appealing an unpaid cancellation record.
Managing unpaid orders
- Sellers can cancel an order if the buyer hasn't paid after 4 calendar days and up to 30 days after the order is placed. Learn more in our Order cancellation policy
- Sellers may be eligible for fee credits according to our fee credits policy
Sellers shouldn’t use the reason "Buyer hasn't paid" to cancel an order when the buyer has paid, or they may:
- Have all credits reversed for the time period in question
- Lose the ability to use the final value fee credit system
- Be subject to suspension
eBay will automatically remove any feedback left by a buyer who didn't pay for an order when:
- The seller cancels the order due to the buyer's failure to pay, or
- The buyer is suspended
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps buyers understand our rules on purchasing items, which protects sellers while maintaining a fair and safe marketplace.