We offer a wide variety of forums, including Reviews, Guides, collections, member-created product descriptions, comments and more. This gives you access to factual information, personal opinions, and guidance on various topics and allows you to publish your opinions and content on our site.
Community content published or edited by our members is solely the opinion and responsibility of the persons posting the content. All content and behavior in posting or receiving such content must comply with the eBay User Agreement and this policy. If this policy conflicts with the eBay User Agreement, you must comply with the eBay User Agreement instead of this policy.
Activity on eBay is required to follow this policy, the eBay User Agreement and all applicable laws, as well as respect the rights of third parties. If it doesn’t, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: Removing the listing or other content, issuing a warning, restricting activity or account suspension.
To report violations of this policy, click the Report link in the content in question (such as a Review, member-created product description, or comment) or, for a collection, send an email.
What are the guidelines?
- Using profanity or vulgar language in a public area of the site is not allowed. However, when reviewing a product where the title contains a profane or vulgar term (e.g., a CD with a profane term in the title), the reviewer may use the term, but only in the context of the title.
Here are some examples of content or actions that aren't permitted in the community content areas (Reviews, Guides, member-created product descriptions, and comments). These examples provide guidance for self-publishing content on our site but shouldn't be viewed as a complete list.
- Promoting or advertising to buy, sell, or trade any product or service listed or located outside of any eBay property (eBay, Half.com, eBay Stores, etc.).
- Placing published content in the wrong category (miscategorization).
- Using another eBay member's pictures or text without the other member's express permission.
- Using intellectual property without the property owner's express permission, when required. eBay strongly encourages members writing and publishing content to familiarize themselves with how eBay helps protect intellectual property. For more information, see How eBay protects intellectual property (VeRO).
- Including any advertising credit, including links, logos, or company names within published content.
- Publishing more than one identical piece of content at the same time and in the same context.
- Encouraging, promoting, facilitating, or instructing others to engage in illegal activity or to violate eBay policy.
- Publishing content in the incorrect forum.
- Publishing reviews that aren't specific to the product.
- Enabling, encouraging, or instructing others to infringe copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights.
- Promoting giveaways, lotteries, random drawings, raffles, or prizes of any kind.
- Using keywords, random links, inaccurate titles, text, or other content not directly relevant to the subject of the community content for the purpose of gaining attention or diverting members to that content. For more information on misuse of keywords, see our search and browse manipulation policy.
- Publishing content or images that are adult in nature or otherwise not appropriate for minors (individuals under 18 years of age). See our Adult Only category policy for clarification on what is permitted in public areas of the site.
- Linking from content published on eBay to any third-party website, including those that include offers to trade, sell, or purchase goods or services off eBay is generally not permitted.
- Linking to items, services, or content prohibited on eBay or to sites that offer items, services, or content prohibited on eBay.
- Misrepresenting yourself as an eBay employee or as another eBay member.
- Publishing content that promotes or glorifies hatred, violence, racial, or religious intolerance, or content that promotes organizations with such views. For more information, see our offensive material policy.
- Using profanity or patently vulgar language in a public area of the site.
- Publishing personal contact information of any person in any public area of eBay, including emails, phone numbers, name, street address, etc.
- Misusing the violation reporting function to maliciously or frivolously report content as not in compliance with eBay policy.
- Artificially increasing or decreasing any community content, including ratings and reviews.
- You must be a registered and active member of eBay to post a comment.
- We may use your eBay user ID and profile picture, if you have one, to identify you to other users as the person who posted your content
- We may promote, demote or remove any of your content in community content areas in our sole discretion.
- Users who create collections may remove any comment on their collection.
- We may limit the amount of community content you post.
- When a user refers in community content to an individual, or to a third party's product, service, or trademark, that does not mean eBay endorses or claims any endorsement by the individual or third party, nor does it mean we are affiliated.
- You acknowledge that all posts you make are public.
- While we may moderate or monitor any comment, we take no responsibility and assume no liability for any comment posted by you or a third party.
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay provides the community content areas of the site to promote community interaction by giving members the opportunity to express their individual views and share helpful information. When publishing content, especially individual commentary or opinion, it's important for members of the community to respect each other as human beings and follow societal norms. Content that contains or promotes hate, illegal acts, violence, or racial intolerance (or organizations dedicated to such notions) has no place in the eBay community and is prohibited. In addition, posting activity that violates intellectual property rights is prohibited.