By following the principles found in the eBay Community Values, the entire Community will continue to find the boards a helpful, educational and enjoyable place to meet and converse. Courteous and respectful postings are expected from all participants.
Members wishing to post on an eBay Discussion Board must adhere to the policies outlined in the “Examples” and “Additional Information” sections below. Please review these sections carefully.
The following are common examples of violations that may result in immediate post removal, warning, board sanction and/or suspension from the site:
- Including another individual's contact information and/or email address in a post.
- Including profanity, vulgarity, hate speech, disruptive, or hostile comments, interpersonal disputes, or threats of violence in a post.
- Including material (graphic or text) that is obscene, pornographic or adult in nature.
- Attempting to impersonate eBay staff or other eBay members.
- Encouraging others to violate eBay policies or the eBay User Agreement.
- Advertising merchandise, auctions, services or commercial Web sites, including offers to trade, "wanted" posts, or charitable solicitations.
- Refusing to follow eBay staff instructions.
- Posting email content from private parties.
- Posting material that in any way violates the eBay User Agreement or Community Values.
- Posting Web addresses (URLs), item numbers or Web sites in the title of a threaded discussion.
- Inappropriate threads started on Community Help Boards, i.e. eBay policy commentary started on the Community Help Registration Board.
- Posting listing reports or member violations.
- Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters, or discussion of sanctioned or no longer registered members.
- Messages posted to eBay's public Discussion Boards by eBay Community members are solely the opinion and responsibility of the person posting the message.
- User IDs with feedback scores that are less than 10 are limited to 10 posts per day in the Discussion and Chat Boards. A sanction or suspension of one User ID will apply to all of that member’s User IDs and may apply to members of the same household. The use of false registration information or creation of multiple accounts for use on eBay's Discussion Boards for the purpose of disruption or to avoid detection may result in permanent sanction or suspension of all associated registrations.
- Only persons aged 18 or over may post to the boards, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission.
- Reporters, researchers, and third party representatives need permission prior to posting or emailing members in their official capacity.
- Posting copyrighted items without the permission of the copyright owner is not permitted.
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay has its Discussion Board Usage policy to encourage a safer trading environment where there can be open and honest communication among all members.
Activity on eBay is required to:
- Follow all applicable laws
- Respect the rights of third parties
- Follow the eBay User Agreement
- Follow this eBay policy
If activity doesn’t meet these requirements, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: administratively ending listings or cancelling transactions, hiding or lowering the placement of listings in search results, lowering seller rating, restricting buying or selling, forfeiture of fees, loss of buyer or seller protections, restricting access to member communication and rating tools, removing feedback, and account suspension.