A Quick Guide to Buying Sublimation Ink for Epson Printers
Most people are familiar with inkjet printers, which use tiny nozzles to deposit ink onto a piece of paper. This isnt the only way to recreate a digital image, however, and if you want to print on hard-surface items, sublimation printing is the way to go. Prior to shopping on eBay for sublimation ink for Epson printers, you might want to learn more about the ink in general so that you can make a more informed buying decision.What is sublimation printing?
Sublimation printers are used to print images on hard, non-paper substrates, such as tiles, mugs, metals, and fiber boards. To apply the image, these printers are equipped with special sublimation inks that transform from solid states to gaseous states via the sublimation process. Through a combination of heat and pressure, the sublimation ink is successfully transferred to the polyester or polymer-coated substrate. The process doesnt merely apply the inks on a topical level. Instead, sublimation fuses the substrate and the pigments on a molecular level. This helps to prevent cracking, peeling, fading, and other damage.What are the common characteristics of sublimation ink?
Common characteristics of sublimation ink include the following:
- Vibrant colors: Sublimation ink produces vivid, highly saturated colors and crisp, detailed imagery.
- Water-resistant: Due to the nature of the sublimation process, these inks are water-resistant.
- Quick-drying: The sublimation process also ensures that these inks dont require a lengthy drying time.
Most Epson sublimation printers achieve a vast color gamut with only four colors. Epson offers its own line of dye-sublimation ink, UltraChrome, which is compatible with many of the brands sublimation printers. These inks are sold in 1000mL packs, and they follow the CMYK color model standard in digital printing. Available ink colors include the following:
- Cyan: Cyan is the midpoint between green and blue, and its a key color in the subtractive color model used in sublimation printing.
- Magenta: This key subtractive color is a bright purple-red.
- Yellow: When yellow is used in combination with cyan and magenta, these three color elements can produce almost any color on the spectrum.
- Black: The black pigment is used in sublimation printing to enhance image clarity, conceal unwanted tints, and optimize tonal transitions in the grayscale.
When purchasing sublimation ink for Epson printers, you can choose ink manufactured by Epson, or you can choose ink made by other brands to be compatible with Epson printers. If you decide to buy ink refills made by other brands, make sure its compatible with your specific Epson printer model.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Epson.